Book Ice Climbing
Ice Climbing, Try It! This half day adventure is geared towards beginners looking to get a taste of what this sport has to offer. No experience necessary! You will learn the basics and how to safely take a swing at ice climbing. This experience is very physical and requires good level of fitness. All equipment is provided (boots, crampons, helmets, harnesses, ice tools).
Come to Haliburton Forest & Wild Life Reserve and be shuttled to the West Shore Crag, our naturally forming ice climbing wall. Its is a 10–15-minute van ride in one of our passenger vans driven by your guide, with adequate space for all and room for day packs too. Once we arrive to our destination everyone will gear up with climbing boots, crampons, helmets, harnesses, and ice tools, and start the short walk to the ice wall. At the ice wall, your guide will start a brief but through safety demonstration, set up climbing ropes, and start climbing.
This activity is weather and condition dependent, so tours may be rescheduled or cancelled if major storms are predicted or if the ice wall conditions deteriorate.
- Please wear appropriate outdoor attire. You will be outside for the duration of the program. Warm wool socks and winter boots are required. If you have gators, please wear them. Dress in layers, a base layer, a fleece or down insulated layer and outer jacket is recommended. A winter hat that is not too bulky, so it can fit under your helmet. Be prepared to dress for standing and be able to remove bulky insultation layers for climbing.
- You may want to wear an older pair of snow pants; there is a risk of tearing a pant leg with the crampons you will be wearing.
- All the equipment you will need including boots with crampons, helmets, harnesses, and ice tools will be provided.
- Day pack, with spare clothing, mittens, gloves, hats, and a change of wool socks should be considered. Packing some snacks, water, and or hot beverage is also a good option.
- This experience is very physical and requires good level of fitness.
- Sessions will run rain, snow, or shine, except during extreme weather conditions.
- Haliburton Forest reserves the right to make changes in response to individual and group needs, availability of experience providers, weather, and other factors.
- Alcohol is not permitted at the climbing site.
Although we accept single guest bookings, tours will only run with a minimum of 2 guests.
Minimum age of 12 required to participate.