Dog Adoption Program
Haliburton Forest Dog Adoption
After much discussion among our team over the last five years, Haliburton Forest intends to exit the dogsledding business over the course of 2021 and 2022. For more details on this decision, click here.
Our priority at this point is finding safe, happy, ethical homes for each and every one of our dogs. However long it takes to achieve that priority, the welfare of our dogs is paramount.
Dogs available for adoption are aged 8+ years. The average lifespan for our huskies typically falls in the 12-15 year range, with some even reaching 16 or 17 years old! Retirement doesn’t mean the best years are over – not even close! We want to offer our beloved dogs the opportunity to find an amazing home with a family who will care for and love them as much as we do!
We are committed to providing the best possible care and all the snuggles they could want for however long we are lucky enough to have them. This means that any of our dogs that don’t find the perfect home, will live out their golden years right here with us, receiving the same high quality of care they are accustomed to for the duration of their lives.
Our four-legged fur balls are an extension of our family. So much so, that many of our staff end up adopting one (or more!) of our retired friends too!
Adoptions are bittersweet. Saying goodbye is always a tearful event, so we are thrilled whenever an adoptee comes back for a visit, or their new family send us photos and videos of them enjoying their new home.
If you are interested in welcoming one of our huskies into your family and into your home, please submit an adoption application for consideration.
Click here to download a fillable PDF of the application, or stop by our main office to pick up a paper copy. Applications can be submitted by dropping off a hard copy to our main office or by email to email@example.com. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Find Out More
- Decide if adoption is right for you. All adoptions start with deciding whether adopting one of our pooches is right for you. We recommend reading through the application form, as it asks targeted questions that will guide the conversations and considerations that are important for you and/or your family. Adopting a dog is not a decision to be made quickly or lightly.
- Submit your application. Once you have decided you would like to adopt, submit your application. Your application will help us get to know you and which of our dogs may be a good fit for you and your lifestyle.
- Meet the pooches. Once your application has been approved, we will help you narrow the field down to a few options that are the best fit for you. Then we set up an appointment for you to meet them at the kennel and take them out for a walk to get to know them better. If you already have dog/s, a meet and greet with them is required.
- Choose your new best friend! Take some time to consider the pooches you met and decide who you would like to welcome into your home. Not everyone will find a match and that is okay, but we will certainly do our best!
- Take your new friend home. Once you have been approved, met the dogs and made your selection, we can finalize adoption and you can take your new buddy home. You will be asked to complete our adoption agreement and be provided with some of the dog’s current food to aid with transition.
- Tell us how it is going. Let us know if you have any questions post-adoption. We love to see pictures and/or videos of the pooches enjoying their new lives, or even better, see them back for a visit!
In most cases we do not charge an adoption fee.
After your application is approved, we will set up an appointment for you to meet the dogs.
Your application is not an obligation to adopt, but we want to get to know you and advise whether we have a dog that is a good match before having you visit and fall in love with a pooch that may not be a suitable option.
We recommend reading the Happy Tails section below and chatting with our adoption team for a better idea of what you can expect.
Each dog and each home is unique, so each adoption is as well!
Our dogs have never lived in homes before so it is common for them to take time to settle in and may take time to house train as well. Good exercise can help ease the transition!
Our dogs are not used to walking on leash and are not off-leash trained. For many of the dogs it will take time and patience to teach them not to pull when walking on leash. We do not recommend allowing them off-leash without training to ensure their safety.
For any questions you may have, please contact our adoption coordinator, Marena at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you prefer to chat by phone, please call 1-800-631-2198 and follow the prompts to connect to the main office/reservations.
Check out some of our recent success stories. These huskies and humans found their perfect companion/s through our adoption program!